second-hand dg set
In this post on 21-22 the best purchasing tips for second-hand dg set we shall discuss the best tips for the buyers of second-hand dg set. Important tips have been described in detail for the purchasers. How the seller cheats to innocent potential buyers.
If the inspection before purchase of 2nd hand DG set is perfect, purchasers can have very good Engines and complete DG sets.
Type Of second-Hand DG sets
There are the following types of second-hand DG sets available in the market.
- Industrial DG set on foundation Continuous as a base load plant
- Industrial DG set on foundation standby plant
- Industrial DG sets were removed from the foundation and stores.
- Marine DG sets are installed onboard a ship or removed from the ship.
Out of all the DG sets the best set to purchase is at sr. No. 2. This type of set will be with fewer running hours and the risk level will below.
Other best preferences will be for the second-hand dg set still will be on the foundation. This type of set can be tested on load and the parameters themselves will speak about the condition of the DG set.
Some time the second-hand dg set removed from the foundation could also be in good condition. For such DG sets the reason for the removal of the foundation has to be enquired from the seller.
Important points and critical checks for second-hand dg set
However, before the purchase of second-hand DG sets, there are few very important points to be checked. Before the inspection, it is always advisable to take the service of an expert engineer in this field.
- It is highly recommended to buy a second-hand dg set through a person with a complete understanding of DG sets and with proven track records.
- Look for the engine nameplate on the engine for the year of manufacture and other data.
- Checking of records.-Get hold of the logbook of the second-hand dg set and goes through the parameters entered. Look for any abnormal parameters.
- Look for any breakdown in the past.
- Spares consumed to repair the breakdown will indicate the severity of the previous breakdown.
- The maintenance record will indicate the upkeep of the DG set. Check for the planned maintenance records as per the running hours. In some cases, the maintenance schedule has not been followed and will be an additional cost to the buyer before re-commissioning. Spares cost for the major maintenance of a medium speed engine will be approximately 60 to 70 Lacs in case genuine spares are used.
- If the DG set is still on foundation undertake the load trials.
- If the DG set is stored elsewhere then carry out the following
- Try to turn the engine and check the freeness of the engine
- Open the crankcase covers and look for any hot spots inside the crankcase. Any symptoms of overheating of bearings
- Look into the cylinder liners for any seizures symptoms.
- Any other damage of internal parts or symptoms of an accident or major breakdown.
- If possible check the crankshaft deflection. Crankshaft deflection will reflect the condition of Bearings and other moving components. The crankshaft is the most important component to be checked for the condition.
- Open the end covers of the Turbochargers and try to rotate the turbocharger for its freeness.
- Open the camshaft inspection doors to look for any damage to the camshaft, camshaft cams, and bearings.
- Open the end cover of the Alternator and observe any symptoms of overheating.
9. If the DG set is operational. Carry out the following
- Take the load trails of the DG set and watch the parameters
- Watch the exhaust temperatures.
- Note any symptoms crankcase getting pressurized.
- Record the parameters like lube oil pressure, Lube oil temperatures. Cooling water pressure and temperatures, Fuel pressure, charge air pressure.
- Observe the electrical parameters.
- During stopping watch the flywheel, it should move to and fro before coming to standstill. This will indicate the proper compression inside the cylinders.
- Spares stock availability.
- All the tools and tackles including special tools supplied with the engine by manufacturers.
- All the manuals and instruction books
- Balance of plant;- Balance of plant will include the heat exchangers, cooling water pumps, fuel, and lube oil conditioning units including centrifuges.
|Sr. No.||Check points||Remarks|
|1||Engine serial no.|
|3||Year of manufacture|
|4||Alternator serial no.|
|6||Alternator year of manufacture.|
|7||Engine Running hours since commissioning|
|8||Turbo charger serial no.|
|9||Running hour since last 12 K maintenance|
|10||Running hours since last 24 K maintenance|
|11||Running hours since last 36 K maintenance|
|12||Running hours since last 48 K maintenance|
|13||Running hour since last 60 K maintenance|
|14||When were the pistons changed?|
|15||When the cylinder liners were were changed?|
|17||Size of crankshaft major journals|
|18||Size of Crank pins|
|19||When was TC cartridge changed?|
|20||When the main bearing shell was were changed?|
|21||When were the CR bearing shell were changed|
|22||When were barrel & plunger changed?|
|23||When was Alternator major overhaul carried out?|
|24||Any accident in alternator|
|25||Condition of bed-plate for any cracks etc.|
|26||SFOC of Plant|
|27||At what load plant has been operating|
|28||Type of load on plant ( Constant/Fluctuating/Jerk)|
|29||Any accident in TC|
|30||Why the power plant is being sold?|
Word of Caution
Never attempt to purchase a seconsecond-hand dg set around the ship breaking around if the set is not direct from the ship. It has been observed that many accidental sets from the industries are stocked near Ship breaking yards. Innocent
Customers get in to the trap and purchase the accidental second-hand dg set.
Many times spare parts are in good condition.
I hope the post on the second-hand dg set was useful to readers. In case of any query regarding new or second-hand DG sets related to inspection or any other guidance please contact the author at – email@example.com